It’s been awhile since I’ve had a chance to work on this, but I had some extra time this weekend, so I’m at it again. Following the splash coat from the previous step, I went over the main parts with some Squadron green putty, designed for smaller gaps, since that was primarily what was revealed by the splashcoat. I was actually very happy with how the body came out following my first coat of paint. I then wetsanded everything again going from 400 to 800 grit paper. Since the cold weather recently returned, I spent today finishing up the viewscreen components and fine tuning the graphics. First off, I cut a sheet of semi-transparent paper to match up with the viewscreen graphic. This sheet will act to diffuse the backlighting that will illuminate the viewscreen. This way, instead of having one concentrated area of light on the graphic, the entire screen will be lit.
I gave both pieces a quick test-fit to make sure they fit into the recess for the viewscreen and aligned properly with the rest of the body.
Since everything looked good, I moved on to finishing up the graphics. As I previously mentioned, all the graphics were cut to fit into their respective areas. The only thing left is to add the “greeblies” to the graphics that will go over the top portion of the tricorder. This includes one piece of half-roung acrylic, and two small pieces of styrene. Since I’m lacking styrene, all I got done today was gluing the acrylic round in place.