Let the Trimming Begin!

Today, I took inventory of the entire kit to ensure everything on the list was included in the box. Looks like everything is there! I also got the first piece trimmed up! The first pass was with my Dremel cutting wheel. Second pass was with my sanding wheel. Third pass was with a fine sanding block. Final pass was…

Read more

Unpacking

I unpacked the BBB (Big Brown Box), and I have to admit, it’s a little overwhelming to see the scale and numerous pieces included in the kit. But learning new things is all part of the fun. Plus, I thought it was nice that the helmet comes finished so you can immediately put that on.

Read more

Workshop – Done!

When Jamie and I were house hunting, one of the things I kept an eye out for was a spot I could set up my workshop and a prop/model display area. Luckily, our new house came with a spare bedroom in the basement complete with a walk-in closet. After the holidays were over, I focused my attention to painting…

Read more

First Base Coat!

Cockpit Base Coat

So I’m back to working on Slave I. I applied another coat of putty to the main fuselage seam, and, after some additional wet-sanding, I’m fairly happy with the results. Next up, I’ll have to restore the panel lines I removed during all the sanding, and I’ll also need to put back some of the panel details I removed….

Read more

More Sanding and Painting

After much debate, I came to the conclusion the only way I would effectively remove the visibility of the main seam between the two fuselage halves was to attack it with some heavy duty sanding. Initially, I tried avoiding this approach as I knew it would remove much of the details around the seam including the panel lines and…

Read more

More Greeblies

Having some extra time on my hands, I decided to get some work done on Slave I. I managed to finish the undercarriage, which consisted of adding a handful of small, detailing pieces. While I used the Tamiya thin cement to attach the majority of the pieces, I reinforced them through the mounting holes on the backside with some…

Read more

Detailing the Undercarriage

After being away from the workbench for awhile, I managed to get some work done on Slave I. Having completed the main fuselage and wing assemblies, it’s time to move onto detailing the undercarriage. As shown in the picture, I completed the subassemblies for the main engine, the two supporting engines, and some additional detailing pieces.  

Read more

Detailing the Fuselage

It’s hard to believe it’s been almost three months since I’ve been at my workbench, but such is life… Anyway, I managed to get back to Slave I today. After having puttied and sanded the main seam between the fuselage halves, I had to rescribe some panel lines. I did this using a Tamiya scriber and a flexible ruler…

Read more