My next step was to add some minor paint detailing to the tricorder. I needed to paint the raised area on the top of the main body that outlines the main grouping of sequencing LEDs. I had noticed previously, that with the graphics in place, you can still see some of the inside surfaces of the LED holes. I decided to paint all the LED holes as well to create an outlining effect when the circuit boards are installed. I used Testor’s flat black enamel, and masked off the areas with Scotch’s blue masking tape (very good stuff for props!). I also painted the area on the lower door for the emergency button. Again, I used Testor’s flat black, and I also used Testor’s flat red for the button area.
In addition, the outlining rim of the main viewscreen was outlined in flat black as well. The flat finish of the paint doesn’t really matter at this point as I plan on clear-coating everything later. The clear-coat will determine the overall finish of the piece.