As mentioned above, the last step is attaching the small greeblie on the top array. I gave it a quick test fit to make sure it fit over the protruding LED, and it fit fine. The only fit problem was getting the flat piece of resin to sit flush against the rounded surface of the top array. To remedy this problem, I let the resin soak for a few minutes in some hot water. I then gently shaped it around the curvature of the kitchen sink. The curve matched nicely to the curve of the top of the tricorder, so now the piece sits well on the top array. Next up is painting the little bugger.
Well I managed to get the little greeblie painted. I used the exact same paints and methods as I did when painting the body, aside from sanding in between coats. I figured since it was a small piece, the finish was not that important. I also kept the coats light and few (one coat of primer, one coat of gray, one coat of silver) to prevent excessive paint buildup that would prevent the LED from fitting properly in the hole. I then masked off a small square using the edges of the hole as guidelines, and painted the black square using Testor’s flat black. I then sealed it all with 2 light coats of clear. I then applied a small drop of glue to the back and put the piece over the LED.
This was the last step for this kit, so the tricorder is now finished! It took a lot longer than I had hoped, but I am pleased with how it came out. Look for a page dedicated to this tricorder on my props page, coming soon!